|Major Programmes/ Projects
- Caravanne: “Service de proximité”
Overview of Caravanne: “Service de proximité”
The NWC provides a “Service de Proximité” targeting vulnerable families through the use of a mobile caravan. The mobile caravan has been adapted and refurbished to cater for various services and activities for the full and effective empowerment of women, development of children and welfare of families. The caravan services areas considered as “pockets of poverty” and a specific region is identified for each month.
Objectives of Caravanne: “Service de proximité”:
- Provide a “service de proximité” aimed at empowering the socially excluded ones by equipping them with skills, tools and resources to improve their livelihoods;
- Provide to these people with coping strategies to move out of the circle of poverty and be integrated in the mainstream of society.
The following stakeholders partner with the NWC:
- Family Welfare and Protection Unit (Ministry of Gender Equality, Child Development and Family Welfare)
- Child Development Unit (Ministry of Gender Equality, Child Development and Family Welfare)
- Home Economics Unit (Ministry of Gender Equality, Child Development and Family Welfare)
- National Children’s Council
- Mauritius Family Planning and Welfare Association (MFPWA)
Services/ Facilities provided inside the Caravan:
- Provision of family counseling services,
- Cervical Cancer Screening for vulnerable women,
- Children's rights and protection, and
- Sensitisation on Gender Concept.
- SheFighter Programme
The National Women’s Council (NWC) in collaboration with the Ministry of Gender Equality, Child Development and Family Welfare, in the context of the International Women’s Day 2018, launched the “SheFighter Programme” during the period 17 to 28 March 2018. Training courses are offered to women/girls in shelters, schools, Colleges, Universities, Youth Centres and Women Empowerment Centres across the island.
Objectives of SheFighterProgramme- Empowering women through Self Defence
The overall objectives of the project are:
- to provide Self Defence Training to empower women and young girls to take:
- a stand and defend themselves against violence;
- on active roles in society, through eliminating genderbased violence.
- Mobile English Literacy using IT (ELIT) Programme
Overview of Mobile English Literacy using IT (ELIT) Programme
The National Women’s Council in collaboration with National Productivity and Competitiveness Council (NPCC) and National Empowerment Foundation (NEF) has launched a Mobile English Literacy using IT (ELIT) Programme.
The aim of the programme is to empower individuals with low academic background to effectively use a mobile phone so as to be able to access different facilities such as mobile banking e.g payment of bills, checking of balance, doing transfers; online shopping; searching for information and so on.
Objectives of Mobile English Literacy using IT (ELIT) Programme:
- To develop their potential communication abilities and to participate effectively in society;
- To develop the possibility for further education and increase their employability;
- To improve their creative skills;
- To facilitate intergeneration learning; and
- To bridge the digital divide by using ICT as a tool to make learning more interesting, interactive and flexible.
- Women in the Dark Project
Women in the Dark Project is an initiative of Mrs. Franziska Greber through which women are given an opportunity to write their feelings anonymously on white shirts with red permanent markers.
The objective of the project is to give women the opportunity to express their intimate experiences, secrets, fears, pains, anger, hopes and beliefs. This project has been carried out in five countries, namely, Zimbabwe, Seychelles, China, India and Mauritius.
The National Women’s Council collaborated with Mrs. Greber to successfully implement this project throughout the island and 300 women have been reached. It is noted that through this project, women have been voicing their concerns fearlessly.
An exhibition is coming soon.
- Legal Literacy Programme (Coming soon)
- Mentoring Programme (Coming soon)